Language Testing Specialist
CAL Classification: Technical specialist
Salary: $47,800 - $52,000
Division: PreK-12 English Language Proficiency Assessment
Hours Per Week: 35 hrs/wk (full time)
Position Available: Immediately
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
Develop test items for a large-scale English language assessment for K-12 English language learners (ELLs), with a focus on test development for ELLs in kindergarten and 1st grade and transitioning from paper to computer-based testing.
- Evaluate, review and write test materials and documents for kindergarten and 1st grade, including providing feedback to team members on test item development
- Communicate and collaborate within and across teams throughout the test development process
- Prepare and maintain files and records (summary reports, electronic notes, spreadsheets, etc.)
- Write and revise test item specifications
- Develop prototypes of test items for computer delivery
- Conduct cognitive lab interviews and other pre-operational research to inform test development
- Coordinate internal and external reviews
- Write and refine graphics descriptions to support student comprehension in test items
- Review graphics for content accuracy and grade-level appropriateness
- Coordinate item development tasks of external consultants to ensure timely delivery of test items
- Maintain test item database
- Organize and execute answer key checks
- Other duties as assigned
Education: Bachelorís degree in related field and five years of related experience or Masterís degree with two years of related experience are required.
Experience:Successful candidate will have experience working with kindergarten and/or 1st grade ELLs and a commitment to improving education. Experience teaching academic content and/or English as a second language for early elementary students in U.S. public or private schools is preferred. Experience developing tests (especially computer-based tests or language tests) is desirable. Familiarity with ACCESS for ELLsģ is desirable.
Qualifications: The preferred candidate will be a self-motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently as well as cooperatively in a fast-paced team environment. Excellent skills in the following areas are highly desirable: organization, planning, and time management; oral and interpersonal communication; writing, editing, and proofreading; and knowledge of Adobe CS4 InDesign and Microsoft Office software.
IF INTERESTED, SEND RESUME AND COVER LETTER:
Center for Applied Linguistics
4646 40th Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20016-1859
ATTN: Human Resources Coordinator, Recruitment 12-18A
Attn: Recruitment 12-18A
CAL offers a comfortable work environment with competitive compensation and an excellent benefits package. We are conveniently located two blocks from the Tenleytown/AU Metro Station on the Red Line.
The Center for Applied Linguistics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment based upon race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, handicap, or any other reason not related to employment.
In accordance with USCIS regulations, all successful applicants will be required to show proof of their legal right to accept employment in the United States.