CAL Classification: Research Assistant II
Program Area: Adult English Language Education
Salary: Low $50,000ís
Hours Per Week: 35 hrs/wk (full time)
Position Available: April 1, 2013
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
The Research Assistant II for Adult English Language Education brings expertise in adult English language acquisition, teaching, and assessment to the support of research and research-related activities in CALís Adult English Language Education program area. The RA-AELE carries out project activities as assigned, contributing to the completion of project tasks and deliverables, and supports the development of future projects and project areas.
- Provide research and development support for CALís English for Heritage Language Speakers program, including research on heritage language communities in the United States; presentations on the program to potential applicants and others; provision, rating, and analysis of applicant telephone interviews; coordination of entry testing; rating of applications; interaction with program subcontractors; management of project budget and schedules; and preparation of reports
- Assist with development and provision of research, technical assistance, and professional development projects in the field of adult English language education, including English for professional/occupational purposes, ESL in ABE/GED contexts, and English for global communication; assist in the preparation of proposals, including initial concept, writing, editing, budget preparation, and management
- Assist with program implementation, analysis, evaluation, and special projects in the AELE area
- Assist in managing other research program activities as assigned, developing progress reports, and communicating results to management and other audiences
- Support communication of CALís AELE expertise and capabilities to external audiences through development of materials, management of Web content, and conference participation
- Interact and collaborate with internal and external project teams on a regular basis
- Apply skills in cultural competence when interacting with clients, constituents, and CAL staff
- Participate in the conduct of activities designed to achieve CALís strategic goals
- MA/MS in a relevant field with 4 years of experience, or BA/BS in a relevant field with 8 years of experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills and oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Flexibility and ability to meet deadlines consistently
- Acute attention to detail and strong work ethic
- A combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required knowledge and abilities in adult education and adult second language acquisition
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively within the United States
IF INTERESTED, SEND RESUME AND COVER LETTER:
Center for Applied Linguistics
4646 40th Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20016-1859
ATTN: Human Resources Coordinator, Recruitment 13-03
Attn: Recruitment 13-03
CAL offers a comfortable work environment with competitive compensation and an excellent benefits package. We are conveniently located two blocks from the Tenleytown/AU Metro Station on the Red Line.
The Center for Applied Linguistics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment based upon race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, handicap, or any other reason not related to employment.
In accordance with USCIS regulations, all successful applicants will be required to show proof of their legal right to accept employment in the United States.