Language Testing Specialist, K-1
CAL Classification: Technical Specialist
Program Area: PreK-12 English Language Learner (ELL) Assessment
Salary: $47,800 - $52,000
Hours Per Week: 35 hrs/wk (full time)
Position Available: Immediately
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
Develop test items for a large-scale academic English language proficiency assessment for kindergarten and first grade ELLs, with a special focus on innovative computer-based test development.
- Write, review and evaluate test materials and documents for kindergarten and first grade, including providing feedback to team members on test item development
- Write and revise test item specifications
- Write and refine graphics descriptions to support student comprehension in test items
- Review graphics for content accuracy and grade-level appropriateness
- Develop prototypes of test items for computer delivery
- Conduct defined research in support of computer-based English language proficiency test development including conducting cognitive lab interviews and literature reviews
- Prepare and maintain files and records (summary reports, electronic notes, spreadsheets, etc.)
- Maintain test item database
- Organize and execute answer key checks
- Coordinate internal and external reviews
- Coordinate item development tasks of external consultants to ensure timely delivery of test items
- Communicate and collaborate within and across teams throughout the test development process
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelorís degree in related field and five years of related experience or Masterís degree with two years of related experience are required.
- Successful candidate will have experience working with kindergarten and/or 1st grade ELLs and a commitment to improving education. Experience teaching academic content and/or English as a second language for early elementary students in U.S. public or private schools is preferred. Experience developing tests (especially computer-based tests or language tests) is desirable. Familiarity with ACCESS for ELLsģ also desirable.
- The preferred candidate will be a self-motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently as well as cooperatively in a fast-paced team environment. Excellent skills in the following areas are highly desirable: organization, planning, and time management; oral and interpersonal communication; writing, editing, and proofreading; and knowledge of InDesign and Microsoft Office software.
IF INTERESTED, SEND RESUME AND COVER LETTER:
Center for Applied Linguistics
4646 40th Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20016-1859
ATTN: Human Resources Coordinator, Recruitment 13-15
Attn: Recruitment 13-15
CAL offers a comfortable work environment with competitive compensation and an excellent benefits package. We are conveniently located two blocks from the Tenleytown/AU Metro Station on the Red Line.
The Center for Applied Linguistics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment based upon race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, handicap, or any other reason not related to employment.
In accordance with USCIS regulations, all successful applicants will be required to show proof of their legal right to accept employment in the United States.