Our Mission and Values
CAL carries out a wide range of activities to accomplish its mission of improving communication through better understanding of language and culture. The Center for Applied Linguistics
- Promotes and improves the teaching and learning of languages
- Identifies and solves problems related to language and culture
- Serves as a resource for information about language and culture
- Conducts research on issues related to language and culture
CAL also has a set of core values that guide all of our endeavors and help us focus our efforts more effectively. These values are outlined below and reflect CAL's strong commitment to making a difference.
- Languages and cultures are important individual and societal assets.
- All languages, dialects, and cultures deserve to be respected and cultivated.
- Multilingualism is beneficial for individuals and society.
- Effective language education should be widely available.
- Accurate information should be the basis for policies and practices that involve language and culture.
- Language skills and cultural knowledge should be valued in work situations.
- Language and cultural differences should not be an obstacle to personal or group success or well-being.
Learn more about CAL.
We invite you to browse our Web site to learn more about our research, projects, services, and resources that support our mission and reflect our values.