Promoting education and achievement of adults learning English
Planning, Implementing and Evaluating EL/Civics Instruction
What is EL/Civics Education? How is it different from Citizenship instruction? Why is EL/Civics such an important topic for adult educators now? How can instructors help adult English language learners to acquire the language skills and content knowledge they need in the 21st Century?
This workshop is designed for practitioners working with all levels of adults learning English. The workshop begins with a discussion of the differences between EL/Civics and Citizenship, focusing on instruction, funding, and expected outcomes. Participants then explore the skills and language needed by adult English language learners to become active and informed parents, workers, and community members. Through readings, activities, and strategic planning, practitioners prepare to help learners acquire both the language and civics content so important for immigrant integration. Print and online resources for further information are shared. Optional online follow up activities are available.
Participants incorporate English language and Civics content into their instructional practice
At the end of this 6-hour workshop, participants will be able to
- Differentiate between Citizenship instruction and EL/Civics instruction
- Describe the needed content of EL/Civics classes and cite resources (online, print) that provide information and strategies to use in programs at all levels of instruction from beginning through advanced
- Explain needs assessment strategies they can use to determine their students’ EL/Civics strengths and challenges
- Discuss 3-5 outcomes of EL/Civics instruction and how these outcomes can be assessed
- Identify 3-5 strategies for integrating language and culture instruction in the EL/Civics classroom and describe how they might use these strategies in their own instructional contexts
CAL staff will work with you to customize our services to meet your special requirements and budget.
For more information: