The topics in this module, listed below, provide a framework for making instructional decisions in the adult ESL classroom. Each section of the module addresses a specific aspect of adult English language acquisition, assessment, or instruction to prepare teachers not only to use the suggested instructional activities but to create their own activities based on a solid understanding of language proficiency and their studentsí needs.
Background addresses the question:
- How can instructors identify the oral communication skills that adults learning English need to develop?
Oral Proficiency addresses the questions:
- What is oral language proficiency?
- What factors influence the development of speaking and listening skills?
Assessment addresses the questions:
- How is oral English language proficiency of adults assessed?
- How can listening comprehension, language complexity, and communication skills be measured?
Instruction addresses the questions:
- What instructional activities build learnersí listening comprehension of conversational English?
- What instructional activities help learners organize and elaborate their ideas in conversational English?
- What instructional activities help learners communicate their meaning in conversational English?
Next Steps addresses the question:
- How can I learn more about developing the oral language proficiency of adults learning English?