The American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) is dedicated to the improvement and expansion of the teaching and learning of all languages at all levels of instruction. ACTFL has become synonymous with innovation, quality, and reliability in meeting the changing needs of language educators and their students. The organization’s more than 12,000 members share one common goal—to inspire, educate, and prepare today’s students for tomorrow’s world.
ACTFL members receive a number of valuable benefits, including:
- Subscriptions to top-notch language publications like The Language Educator and Foreign Language Annals
- Discounts on unparalleled professional development opportunities like the ACTFL Annual Convention & World Languages Expo, webinars, and workshops
- Discounts on popular ACTFL books and products
- Exclusive access to members-only news, information, and online communities
- Invaluable career resources like ACTFL JobCentral and the ACTFL Mentoring Program
ACTFL also provides instructional initiatives and assessment opportunities for all language educators, and currently offers a number of options for assessing speaking (interpersonal) and writing (presentational). ACTFL assessments determine functional language ability as described in the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines. The ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) and the ACTFL Advanced Level Check are conducted and rated by certified ACTFL OPI testers. The ACTFL Writing Proficiency Test (WPT) is rated by certified ACTFL WPT raters.
ACTFL proficiency tests are currently being used worldwide by academic institutions, government agencies, and private corporations for purposes such as: academic placement, student assessment, program evaluation, professional certification, hiring, and promotional qualification. Teacher certification boards in some states require evidence of spoken and written language competency as demonstrated through official ACTFL ratings. Visit our website.