The Center for Applied Linguistics develops a variety of publications related to the teaching and learning of languages, linguistics, policy, immigrant and refugee integration, and more.
Our publications are described within this section and also cross-referenced under the appropriate topic areas for your convenience. We invite you to browse our complete list of publications. Click on a title below for a brief description. To learn more or to order, visit the CAL Store.
Guiding Principles for Dual Language Education has been updated to reflect new knowledge, practices, and policies in the arena of dual language education. The third edition of this widely used resource is designed to serve as an effective tool for planning, self-reflection, and continual improvement.
Based on a 21st century approach to academic literacy that is aligned with today’s rigorous standards, this resource provides research-based strategies and practical, hands-on tools to help educators develop effective classroom activities. The package includes a comprehensive workbook supported by authentic classroom video and two complete unit plans on CD-ROM.
- Building Educational Communities of Inclusion in PreK-12 Settings - A CAL Webinar
- Building the Foreign Language Capacity We Need: Toward a Comprehensive Strategy for a National Language Framework
- CAL English Proficiency Tests
- CAL Series on Language Education
- Childhood Bilingualism
- China and English: Globalisation and the Dilemmas of Identity
- Chinese as a Heritage Language: Fostering Rooted World Citizenry
- CLIL in Context: Practical Guidance for Educators
- Computerized Oral Proficiency Instrument (COPI)
- Connecting Diverse Cultures: A Video Guide for A New Day and Be Who You Are