The Center for Applied Linguistics develops a variety of publications related to the teaching and learning of languages, linguistics, policy, immigrant and refugee integration, and more.
Our publications are described within this section and also cross-referenced under the appropriate topic areas for your convenience. We invite you to browse our complete list of publications. Click on a title below for a brief description. To learn more or to order, visit the CAL Store.
Based on a 21st century approach to academic literacy that is aligned with today’s rigorous standards, this resource provides research-based strategies and practical, hands-on tools to help educators develop effective classroom activities. The package includes a comprehensive workbook supported by authentic classroom video and two complete unit plans on CD-ROM.
Handbook of Heritage, Community, and Native American Languages in the United States: Research, Policy, and Educational Practice
This timely and comprehensive publication provides a state-of-the-art overview of major issues related to heritage, community, and Native American languages in the United States, providing a foundational perspective on how these languages are learned and used in a variety of contexts and outlining the importance of drawing on these languages as valuable national resources.
- Dialects in Schools and Communities, Second Edition
- Ebonics: The Urban Education Debate, 2nd Edition
- Educating English Language Learners: A Synthesis of Research Evidence
- Education for Adult English Language Learners in the United States
- English Language Learners With Special Education Needs: Identification, Assessment, and Instruction
- Enhancing English Language Learning in Elementary Classrooms
- Enriching Content Classes for Secondary ESOL Students
- Faces of Resettlement: Refugees in U.S. Communities (Video)
- Forbidden Language: English Learners and Restrictive Language Policies
- Foreign Language Instruction in the United States: A National Survey of Elementary and Secondary Schools