The Center for Applied Linguistics develops a variety of publications related to the teaching and learning of languages, linguistics, policy, immigrant and refugee integration, and more.
Our publications are described within this section and also cross-referenced under the appropriate topic areas for your convenience. We invite you to browse our complete list of publications. Click on a title below for a brief description. To learn more or to order, visit the CAL Store.
Based on a 21st century approach to academic literacy that is aligned with today’s rigorous standards, this resource provides research-based strategies and practical, hands-on tools to help educators develop effective classroom activities. The package includes a comprehensive workbook supported by authentic classroom video and two complete unit plans on CD-ROM.
Handbook of Heritage, Community, and Native American Languages in the United States: Research, Policy, and Educational Practice
This timely and comprehensive publication provides a state-of-the-art overview of major issues related to heritage, community, and Native American languages in the United States, providing a foundational perspective on how these languages are learned and used in a variety of contexts and outlining the importance of drawing on these languages as valuable national resources.
- Heritage Language Education: A New Field Emerging
- Immersion Education: Practices, Policies, Possibilities
- Implementing Educational Language Policy in Arizona: Legal, Historical and Current Practices in SEI
- Improving Early Literacy in PreK-3: Lessons Learned
- Improving Education for English Learners: Research-Based Approaches
- Indigenous Youth and Multilingualism: Language Identity, Idealogy, and Practice in Dynamic Cultural Worlds
- Language and the Fulfillment of the Potential of All Americans
- Language By Video: An Overview of Foreign Language Instructional Videos for Children
- Language Issues in Comparative Education: Inclusive Teaching and Learning in Non-Dominant Languages and Cultures
- Language Policies in Education: Critical Issues