The Center for Applied Linguistics develops a variety of publications related to language education, linguistics, policy, cultural education, and more.
Our publications are described within this section and also cross-referenced under the appropriate topic areas for your convenience. We invite you to browse our complete list of publications. Click on a title below for a brief description. To learn more or to order, visit the CAL Store.
Two videos, combined on on DVD, designed to assist refugees and refugee service providers in learning about the adjustment of refugee families and youth to their new lives in the United States.
The new and enhanced professional development manual is designed to assist educators as they prepare teachers of English language learners to use the Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP) Model.
- Sociolinguistic Variation: Theories, Methods, and Applications
- Sustaining Linguistic Diversity: Endangered and Minority Languages and Language Varieties
- Teaching Vocabulary to English Language Learners
- The Bilingual Edge: Why, When, and How to Teach Your Child a Second Language
- The Education of Language Minority Immigrants in the United States
- The SIOP Model: Sheltered Instruction for Academic Achievement (Video)
- The SIOP® Model for Administrators
- Using the SIOP Model: Professional Development Manual for Sheltered Instruction, 2nd Edition
- Ways With Words: Language, Life, and Work in Communities and Classrooms
- Welcome to the United States: A Guidebook for Refugees