The Center for Applied Linguistics develops a variety of publications related to the teaching and learning of languages, linguistics, policy, immigrant and refugee integration, and more.
Our publications are described within this section and also cross-referenced under the appropriate topic areas for your convenience. We invite you to browse our complete list of publications. Click on a title below for a brief description. To learn more or to order, visit the CAL Store.
Based on a 21st century approach to academic literacy that is aligned with today’s rigorous standards, this resource provides research-based strategies and practical, hands-on tools to help educators develop effective classroom activities. The package includes a comprehensive workbook supported by authentic classroom video and two complete unit plans on CD-ROM.
Handbook of Heritage, Community, and Native American Languages in the United States: Research, Policy, and Educational Practice
This timely and comprehensive publication provides a state-of-the-art overview of major issues related to heritage, community, and Native American languages in the United States, providing a foundational perspective on how these languages are learned and used in a variety of contexts and outlining the importance of drawing on these languages as valuable national resources.
- Sustaining Linguistic Diversity: Endangered and Minority Languages and Language Varieties
- Teaching and Learning English Grammar: Research Findings and Future Directions
- Teaching Vocabulary to English Language Learners
- The Bilingual Edge: Why, When, and How to Teach Your Child a Second Language
- The Education of Language Minority Immigrants in the United States
- The SIOP Model: Sheltered Instruction for Academic Achievement (Video)
- The SIOP® Model for Administrators
- Using the SIOP Model: Professional Development Manual for Sheltered Instruction, 2nd Edition
- Ways With Words: Language, Life, and Work in Communities and Classrooms
- Welcome to the United States: A Guidebook for Refugees