The Center for Applied Linguistics develops a variety of publications related to the teaching and learning of languages, linguistics, policy, immigrant and refugee integration, and more.
Our publications are described within this section and also cross-referenced under the appropriate topic areas for your convenience. We invite you to browse our complete list of publications. Click on a title below for a brief description. To learn more or to order, visit the CAL Store.
Based on a 21st century approach to academic literacy that is aligned with today’s rigorous standards, this resource provides research-based strategies and practical, hands-on tools to help educators develop effective classroom activities. The package includes a comprehensive workbook supported by authentic classroom video and two complete unit plans on CD-ROM.
Handbook of Heritage, Community, and Native American Languages in the United States: Research, Policy, and Educational Practice
This timely and comprehensive publication provides a state-of-the-art overview of major issues related to heritage, community, and Native American languages in the United States, providing a foundational perspective on how these languages are learned and used in a variety of contexts and outlining the importance of drawing on these languages as valuable national resources.
- Practitioner Toolkit: Working With Adult English Language Learners
- Preparing Classroom Teachers to Succeed with Second Language Learners
- Reading and Adult English Language Learners: A Review of the Research
- Realizing the Vision of Two-Way Immersion: Fostering Effective Programs and Classrooms
- Redesigning English-Medium Classrooms: Using Research to Enhance English Learner Achievement
- Refugee Families & Refugee Youth Videos: A New Day; Be Who You Are
- Research Methods in Language Policy and Planning: A Practical Guide
- Review of Research in Education 2014: Language Policy, Politics, and Diversity in Education
- SIOP in Action: Instructional Videos Featuring Complete SIOP Lessons at Three Grade Levels
- SIOP Model Digest Series