The Center for Applied Linguistics develops a variety of publications related to the teaching and learning of languages, linguistics, policy, immigrant and refugee integration, and more.
Our publications are described within this section and also cross-referenced under the appropriate topic areas for your convenience. We invite you to browse our complete list of publications. Click on a title below for a brief description. To learn more or to order, visit the CAL Store.
Based on a 21st century approach to academic literacy that is aligned with today’s rigorous standards, this resource provides research-based strategies and practical, hands-on tools to help educators develop effective classroom activities. The package includes a comprehensive workbook supported by authentic classroom video and two complete unit plans on CD-ROM.
Handbook of Heritage, Community, and Native American Languages in the United States: Research, Policy, and Educational Practice
This timely and comprehensive publication provides a state-of-the-art overview of major issues related to heritage, community, and Native American languages in the United States, providing a foundational perspective on how these languages are learned and used in a variety of contexts and outlining the importance of drawing on these languages as valuable national resources.
- Learning to Read Across Languages: Cross-Linguistic Relationships in First-and-Second-Language Literacy Development
- Lessons Learned: Model Early Foreign Language Programs
- Linguistic Landscape in the City
- Listening and Speaking: Oral Language and Vocabulary Development for English Language Learners
- Literacy and Language Diversity in the United States, 2nd Edition
- Making Content Comprehensible for English Learners: The SIOP® Model, 5th Edition
- Making Your Way: A Reception and Placement Orientation Curriculum
- Math and Science: Skills and Strategies to Adapt Instruction for English Language Learners
- Multilingual Learners and Academic Literacies
- Multimedia Rater Training Program (MRTP) - available in Arabic, French, German, and Spanish