The Center for Applied Linguistics develops a variety of publications related to the teaching and learning of languages, linguistics, policy, immigrant and refugee integration, and more.
Our publications are described within this section and also cross-referenced under the appropriate topic areas for your convenience. We invite you to browse our complete list of publications. Click on a title below for a brief description. To learn more or to order, visit the CAL Store.
Guiding Principles for Dual Language Education has been updated to reflect new knowledge, practices, and policies in the arena of dual language education. The third edition of this widely used resource is designed to serve as an effective tool for planning, self-reflection, and continual improvement.
Based on a 21st century approach to academic literacy that is aligned with today’s rigorous standards, this resource provides research-based strategies and practical, hands-on tools to help educators develop effective classroom activities. The package includes a comprehensive workbook supported by authentic classroom video and two complete unit plans on CD-ROM.
- Multilingual Learners and Academic Literacies
- Multimedia Rater Training Program (MRTP) - available in Arabic, French, German, and Spanish
- National Research Summit on the Early Care and Education of Dual Language Learners
- Pathways to Multilingualism: Evolving Perspectives on Immersion Education
- Practitioner Toolkit: Working With Adult English Language Learners
- Preparing Classroom Teachers to Succeed with Second Language Learners
- Promoting the Educational Success of Children and Youth Learning English: Promising Futures
- Reading and Adult English Language Learners: A Review of the Research
- Realizing the Vision of Two-Way Immersion: Fostering Effective Programs and Classrooms
- Redesigning English-Medium Classrooms: Using Research to Enhance English Learner Achievement