Updated and Expanded CAL SIOP Professional Development Manual Now Available
Using the SIOP Model: Professional Development Manual for Sheltered Instruction, 2nd Edition
CALís new and enhanced edition of our SIOP professional development manual is designed to assist teacher educators, staff developers, and leaders at the school, district, and state levels as they prepare teachers of English language learners to use the Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP) Model or its adapted version, the Two-Way SIOP Model.
As teachers work with professional developers in workshops, they learn about language and content objectives, meaningful activities, ways to teach and emphasize key vocabulary, techniques to make information comprehensible, and essential concepts for effective SIOP instruction.
The new manual includes
- Background information on SIOP components for SIOP facilitators.
- Updated information on ongoing SIOP Model research.
- Workshop sessions that include strategies, activities, and tools to help teachers implement the SIOP instructional model.
- Guidance on how to plan and implement SIOP Model professional development sessions, including content and language objectives, workshop activities, copies of participant handouts, PowerPoint slides, and suggested assignments for participants to complete between workshop sessions.
- Descriptions of approaches to ongoing SIOP professional development and development of effective SIOP lesson plans.
- Information on how to move teachers to higher levels of SIOP Model implementation once they are introduced to the Model.
- CD-ROM with all of the PowerPoint slides and handouts used in the professional development sessions.
Order online at the CAL Store.