Principles to practice approach for EL success
Multiculturalism in the Classroom
Dates to be scheduled.
Learn effective strategies to promote greater understanding of cultural diversity in an interactive, hands-on learning format.
Please join us for this engaging and interactive two-day institute designed to increase understanding and provide practical resources for promoting diversity and multiculturalism in K-12 classrooms.
This institute was designed for teachers and practitioners working in classroom settings with students from diverse cultural backgrounds and for service providers working with newcomers in their communities.
The institute focuses on four topics:
Perspectives, both ours and those around us, including gaining insight on what it is like to be a newcomer
The influences our lives and the lives of our students have on each other and the environment
Ready-to-use resources for promoting diversity and multiculturalism in your classroom
Taking action to incorporate these tools and resources into your classroom, school, and community
This institute provides participants with an effective and flexible set of tools to build greater cultural awareness and understanding through using the power of video as a learning medium, combined with the knowledge sharing and activities of the guide.
Each attendee will receive the refugee family and youth videos, A New Day and Be Who You Are, and the companion facilitatorís guide, Connecting Diverse Cultures. These materials were developed by CALís experts in refugees and immigrant integration, building on over 40 years of experience in working with newcomers.
Learn more about the materials and watch
a video clip.
Attendees will get hands-on guidance on using practical and effective activity plans to help increase student understanding of and appreciation for other cultures and beliefs. Developed for maximum flexibility, the guide is designed for use in K-12 classrooms, adult education settings, training of trainers, and by anyone seeking to promote tolerance, diversity, and cultural connections.
The institute focuses on the following topics:
Perspectives, Influences, and Key Resources
- Identifying our own perspectives and how these influence our classroom
- Learning more about our students and their families, and what they bring to the classroom
- Using the main resource for this institute, Connecting Diverse Cultures: A Video Guide for A New Day and Be Who You Are
- Determining key topics for further consideration
Action Planning and Brainstorming for Your Classroom, School, and Community
- Continuing self-reflection on multiculturalism and tolerance
- Action planning tailored for your classroom, school, and community
- Sharing of developed action plans with feedback and additional brainstorming
- Identifying and discussing key take-away messages
- Sharing of ready-to-use resources