Principles to practice approach for ELL success
Listening and Speaking: Oral Language and Vocabulary Development for English Language Learners
Using real-world examples, research-based principles of instruction, a teacher-oriented practical workbook, and new authentic classroom videos, this professional development workshop is designed for classroom teachers in elementary and middle schools (Grades K-8). It is also appropriate for ESL and bilingual teachers. Collaborative teaching teams are especially encouraged to attend. Other educators (including ESL and other specialists and school, district and state administrators) will also find value in this professional development opportunity.
Authentic Classroom Video
The workshop presents new classroom video including segments that demonstrate principles of instruction for ELLs, teacher scaffolding for oral language output, academic language in a math class; jokes for vocabulary, comprehension, and fun!; six steps to vocabulary mastery; and interactive reading aloud with a focus on oral language and vocabulary development for young ELLs (kindergarten).
Topics covered include classroom conditions for oral language development; oral language proficiency levels; listening comprehension; strategies for promoting oral language development; Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts (listening and speaking); use of story books, songs, chants, and rap to promote oral language; academic vocabulary learning; and cooperative learning structures.
- Describe classroom conditions that promote second languge learning.
- Distinguish five levels of oral language proficiency and teacher and student behaviors appropriate for each level.
- Examine teaching strategies, that scaffold learning while increasing classroom interaction, comprehensible input, language output, and academic language learning.
- Identify cooperative learning structures and explain how they promote interaction and develop oral language and vocabulary.
- Develop a list of teaching and learning strategies that enhance academic vocabulary development, with particular attention to the needs of second language learners.
All workshop participants receive a copy of CAL’s new professional development workbook: Listening and Speaking: Oral Language and Vocabulary Development for English Language Learners and the companion video.
Contact CAL to learn how CAL can deliver this workshop at your location.