Principles to practice approach for ELL success
Spanish Literacy: Fostering Spanish Language and Literacy Development
Taller de lectura y escritura en español -- Cómo fomentar el desarrollo de la lectoescritura en español
Learn research-based strategies to provide effective academic literacy instruction in Spanish in developmental and transitional bilingual, dual language and immersion education programs.
Aprenda estrategias efectivas basadas en investigaciones científicas para la enseñanza de la lectoescritura académica en programas de español bilingües (de desarrollo y transición), duales y de inmersión.
This workshop is designed to provide participants with an awareness of Spanish linguistic features to effectively teach academic language and literacy in Spanish to students at all levels of proficiency, framed by an understanding of Spanish language arts standards.
The Spanish Literacy workshop is designed for teachers, specialists, and coordinators who provide support or instruction in the Spanish language in developmental and transitional bilingual, heritage language, language immersion, or dual language settings.
These workshops can be tailored to meet the needs of your grade level, school, and program type and may take place in Spanish or English.
The following provides an overview of the topics covered each day. Practical classroom-based instructional strategies are embedded throughout the presentation.
The Context for Spanish Language and Literacy Instruction
Introducción a la enseñanza de la lectoescritura en español
- Participant introductions, backgrounds, and instructional models
- Demographic information about Spanish learners and their diverse educational settings
- Principles of effective instruction for language learners
- Teaching Spanish Language Arts with today’s standards
Developing Awareness of Similarities and Differences between Spanish and English
Cómo desarrollar conciencia de las similitudes y las diferencias entre el inglés y el español
- Fostering the development of academic language
- Building metalinguistic awareness to promote
- Examining similarities and differences between the languages as it relates to:
- Phonology (sound-letter correspondences)
- Morphology (word formation)
- Lexicon (cognates and false cognates)
- Grammar (sentence structure)
- Pragmatics (language use)
Developing Literacy in Spanish
Desarrollo de la lectoescritura en español
- Applying the principles of effective instruction for language learners to develop vocabulary, grammar, and comprehension in Spanish
- Targeting vocabulary instruction and oral language development using interactive teacher
read-alouds, songs, and poems
- Promoting Spanish language and literacy development in the content areas
- Providing opportunities for meaningful language use through student interaction
- Identifying strategies to promote students’ use of Spanish
- Using guided reading lessons to teach students strategies for using meaning, structure and visual information when they read
- Instructing writing and reading comprehension strategies in Spanish
CAL can work with you to tailor this professional development workshop to meet your needs and budget.