Frequently Asked Questions about TWI
What institutions provide teacher training or professional development for TWI teachers?
The Center for Applied Linguistics offers a number of different kinds of professional development, including workshops using the Two-Way Immersion SIOP. See our Services page or contact Julie Sugarman for more information on CAL services.
The Illinois Resource Center has developed DualU: A Dual Language Teacher Training Curriculum. Dual-U is an eight-module, on-line professional development curriculum, based on Dual Language Instruction: A Handbook for Enriched Education by N. Cloud, F. Genesee and E. Hamayan, and is designed to assist elementary and secondary teachers and administrators in developing, implementing, and assessing dual language or two-way immersion programs. The Illinois Resource Center also offers other classes and workshops to dual language teachers.
There are many universities that provide certification or degree programs in bilingual education, but few specifically for TWI or dual language.
University programs that we know of that do provide training for TWI/dual language teachers are:
- Bank Street College of Education (NYC)
- California State University, Long Beach
- California State University, Stanislaus
- San Diego State University
- Texas A&M University (College Station, also online)
- University of Colorado at Denver
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis)
- University of St. Thomas (Houston)
- University of Texas at Brownsville
- University of Texas at El Paso
- University of Texas-Pan American
See also the list of professional conferences for TWI professionals.