Frequently Asked Questions about TWI
What resources are available to help my school design and implement a TWI Program?
The Center for Applied Linguistics has worked with new and expanding TWI schools in Connecticut, the District of Columbia, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, Virginia, and Wisconsin, and would be happy to work with your program as well. Please contact Julie Sugarman for more information on CAL services for dual language programs.
For advice on planning and implementing a TWI Program see the following resources and publications:
- Calderón, M., & Minaya-Rowe, L. (2003). Designing and Implementing Two-Way Bilingual Programs. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press, Inc.
- Cloud, N., Genesee, F., & Hamayan, E. (2000). Dual Language Instruction: A Handbook for Enriched Education. Boston, MA: Heinle and Heinle.
- Freeman, Y. S., Freeman, D. E., & Mercuri, S. P. (2005). Dual language essentials for teachers and administrators. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
- Howard, E. R., & Christian, D. (2002). Two-Way Immersion 101: Designing and Implementing a Two-Way Immersion Education Program at the Elementary Level (Educational Practice Report 9). Santa Cruz, CA and Washington, DC: Center for Research on Education, Diversity & Excellence.
- Howard, E. R., Olague, N., & Rogers, D. (2003). The Dual Language Program Planner: A Guide for Designing and Implementing Dual Language Programs. Santa Cruz, CA and Washington, DC: Center for Research on Education, Diversity & Excellence.
- Howard, E. R., Sugarman, J., & Christian, D. (2003). Trends in Two-Way Immersion Education: A Review of the Research. Baltimore, MD: Center for Research on the Education of Students Placed at Risk.
- Lindholm-Leary, K. (2001). Dual Language Education. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
- Montone, C., & Loeb, M. (2000). Implementing Two-Way Immersion Programs in Secondary Schools (EPR 5). Santa Cruz, CA and Washington DC: CREDE.
- Soltero, S. W. (2004). Dual Language: Teaching and Learning in Two Languages. Boston: Pearson Education.
- Sugarman, J., & Howard, E. R. (2001). Development and Maintenance of Two-Way Immersion Programs: Advice from Practitioners (Practitioner Brief #2). Santa Cruz, CA and Washington DC: CREDE.
For other publications, see the Implementation of TWI Programs section of the TWI Bibliography.