Frequently Asked Questions about TWI
What are the professional development needs of TWI teachers?
TWI teachers need strong oral and written skills in the language(s) of instruction, awareness of second language acquisition issues, and familiarity with sheltered instruction strategies.
Resources on CAL's TWI Website include:
Resources for professional development include:
- Calderón, M., & Minaya-Rowe, L. (2003). Designing and Implementing Two-Way Bilingual Programs. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press, Inc.
- Cloud, N., Genesee, F., & Hamayan, E. (2000). Dual Language Instruction: A Handbook for Enriched Education. Boston, MA: Heinle and Heinle.
- Freeman, Y. S., Freeman, D. E., & Mercuri, S. P. (2005). Dual language essentials for teachers and administrators. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
- Soltero, S. W. (2004). Dual language: Teaching and learning in two languages. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Dual U curriculum from the Illinois Resource Center
See also CAL's Professional Development services page.
For more information, see our bibliography page, especially the section on Teachers' Experiences and Professional Development.