Resources for Spanish Language Arts Standards and Benchmarks
The resources linked from this page may be helpful reference tools for dual language program staff seeking to design Spanish language arts standards, benchmarks or a scope and sequence for their program. Some address standards for Spanish learners, some for native speakers, and some for both.
This page is a work in progress. If you know of a link that would be appropriate or have a suggestion for improving the organization or content of the page please e-mail Julie Sugarman.
- ACTFL: Standards for Foreign Language Learning in the 21st Century
- Puerto Rico Department of Education: Estándares de Contenidos y Expectativas de Grado- Español (Content Standards and Grade Level Expectations - Spanish)
- WIDA Consortium: Spanish Language Arts (SLA) Standards
- California State Board of Education: World Language Content Standards
Dual Language Programs
Including documents created by two-way immersion, foreign language immersion, heritage immersion and developmental bilingual programs
- Cambridge Public Schools: TEJIDO/TECIDO Spanish/Portuguese Language Arts Outcomes (click on link under HIGHLIGHTS)
- Common Core en Español: State Standards Initiative Translation project *NEW*
- Flowery Elementary School (Sonoma, CA): ELA and SLA non-transferables Standards Map
- Mid-Atlantic Equity Assistance Center and the District of Colubmia Public Schools' Office of Bilingual Education: Normas para la enseñanza de las artes del lenguaje en español para programas de inmersión doble
Elementary Foreign Language Programs
- Archdiocese of Kansas City: Curriculum Standards (click on Elementary Spanish Curriculum Guide)
- Arkansas Department of Education: K-8 Curriculum Frameworks for Foreign Language Education (click on K-8 Foreign Language Acquisition)
- British Columbia Ministry of Education: Integrated Resource Packages (Spanish Grades 5-12)
- North Carolina: Standard Course of Study (World Languages)
- Pittsburgh Public Schools: Elementary School Syllabi
Spanish for Native Speakers Programs
- Arkansas Department of Education: Spanish for Native Speakers
- New York State Department of Education: Learning Standards for Native Language Arts
CAL makes no endorsement of any of the above resources. They are listed here as references that may be useful in dual language or other contexts.
Last updated March 19, 2013