TWI Bulletin Archives
TWI Bulletin #17: Directory of Two-Way Immersion Programs in the U.S. (12/15/2003)
As the funding for the CAL/CREDE Study of Two-Way Immersion Education comes to a close, this is our last opportunity to appeal for additions and updates to the on-line Directory of Two-Way Immersion Programs in the United States (http://www.cal.org/twi/directory). The TWI Directory is
- the only national document that lists two-way immersion (TWI) programs (also called dual language or dual immersion) and tracks their growth and characteristics
- viewed by over 1000 visitors a month
- used by researchers, practitioners, media, and parents
- regularly cited in newspapers (most recently the New York Times) as well as dozens of books and articles on dual language education
The programs listed in the Directory meet the following criteria:
- INTEGRATION: Language-minority and language-majority students are integrated for at least 50% of instructional time at all grade levels
- INSTRUCTION: Content and literacy instruction in both languages is provided to all students
- POPULATION: Within the program, there is a balance of language-minority and language-majority students, with each group making up between one-third and two-thirds of the total student population
To check if your schools is listed and review an existing entry:
- Go to http://www.cal.org/twi/directory
- Click on "Go to the Detailed Search Page"
- Enter your "Program/School Name" in the top line of the search form, and hit "FIND"
- Select your school by clicking on the school's name
IF YOUR SCHOOL IS LISTED AND THE ENTRY IS MOSTLY CORRECT, and only a few changes need to be made, please send an e-mail to Julie Sugarman at email@example.com listing the fields and the changes to be made.
IF YOUR ENTRY NEEDS EXTENSIVE CHANGES, AND FOR EACH SCHOOL SITE THAT IS NOT YET LISTED, please fill out a questionnaire, now available in an efficient and easy-to-use electronic format (click on http://www.cal.org/twi/directory/portal.html for the questionnaire).
Funding for this project by the Center for Research on Education, Diversity & Excellence (CREDE) ends early next year, and we would like to have it as updated and complete as possible before that time, so please try to complete the questionnaire by February 15, 2004.
If you have any questions about the questionnaire or our research, please do not hesitate to call (202-362-0700 x270) or e-mail me (firstname.lastname@example.org) at CAL. Thank you very much for your participation.
This is the seventeenth in a series of occasional post-only mailings from the Center for Applied Linguistics. These messages include information about current two-way immersion news, publications, and events. If you received this bulletin in error and/or you would like to be removed from the CAL Two-Way Immersion e-mail mailing list, please send an email to email@example.com.