Research Assistant, Language Assessment
Job Title: Research Assistant, Language Assessment
CAL Classification: Research Assistant
Program Area: PreK-12 ELL Assessment
Division: Language Assessment
Hours Per Week: 35 hrs/wk (full time)
Position Available: Immediately
Research Assistant (RA) assists with tasks related to language assessments including: test development; test
rating; research for tests of English proficiency; writing, proofreading and editing technical reports; reviewing
and compiling data.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with development of item review procedures and processes.
- Assist with the development of test maps and blueprints.
- Carry out quality control steps to ensure accuracy of test maps and blueprints.
- Assist with creation of test forms in InDesign.
- Assist with facilitation and coordination of audio recording sessions.
- Conduct fact-checking and document sources.
- Coordinate key verification sessions.
- Assist with proofing and copy-editing.
- Assist with the recruitment of scorers.
- Assist with the compilation of scorer training materials.
- Assist with scoring performance tasks and writing score justifications.
- Assist with organizing scoring activities.
- Create meeting agendas and take and disseminate meeting notes.
- Assist in writing and editing technical reports.
- Responsible for cleaning data, creating data tables, coding open-ended survey responses, updating the text of reports following a pre-existing format, and proofreading reports.
- Assist with other administrative duties as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and years of related work experience; or Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in a relevant field.
- Experience working with test development and item writing and/or English language teaching.
Any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Native or native-like proficiency in English.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Ability to work flexibly and cooperatively in a fast-paced team environment.
- Excellent time management skills and adherence to deadlines.
- Thoroughness in execution of tasked assignments and detail oriented.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Adobe CS6 InDesign and advanced Excel skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to effectively communicate. The employee may be required to sit or stand in a stationary position for 50% of the time. This position constantly operates a computer and other office productivity equipment. CAL adheres to ADA compliance and guidelines as a common practice.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employment Statement
The Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, CAL complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
CAL expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of CAL employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
IF INTERESTED, SEND RESUME AND COVER LETTER:
Center for Applied Linguistics
4646 40th Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20016-1859
ATTN: Human Resources, Recruitment 18-02 Research Assistant, Language Assessment
Attn: Recruitment 18-02 Research Assistant, Language Assessment
In accordance with USCIS regulations, all successful applicants will be required to show proof of their legal right to accept employment in the United States.