Enhance your SIOP Model knowledge to support delivery of effective professional development workshops at your school.
This comprehensive and interactive institute is designed to help participants develop and deliver SIOP Model professional development as facilitators in your school or district.
The Foundations institute is designed for those with a basic working knowledge of the SIOP Model through some past SIOP Model workshop attendance, self-study, or classroom implementation. Participants will review the components of the SIOP Model and acquire knowledge and skills to help PreK-12 teachers better integrate content and language instruction for English learners as PD facilitators.
Based on an interactive flipped classroom model, this spring 2022 cohort will participate in both synchronous and asynchronous online learning. Through a self-paced format, participants will listen to recorded mini-lectures, read relevant research articles, watch classroom videos of SIOP lessons, apply what they learn to their PD plans, and interact with other participants through discussion boards and blog posts. Participants will meet with CAL facilitators weekly to discuss best practices in SIOP professional development, network with other PD facilitators from schools around the world, and receive small group coaching from a CAL PD coach.
This is the right strand for those who:
- Have some experience with the SIOP Model, but would like a review of the eight components
- May have attended a SIOP workshop in the past, but would like to prepare to teach others about the SIOP Model
- Are interested in beginning to develop the skills of a SIOP facilitator
- Are available between April 6-27, 2022 to complete approximately 2 hours of self-paced online assignments per week (to include watching videos, reading articles, listening to mini-lectures on SIOP components, and planning for their own PD sessions, etc.).
- Are able to join remote/teleconference sessions on the days and times listed below.
Certificate of Completion
Participants will receive a CAL Certificate of Completion for 28 hours which may be used for continuing education credit.
Questions? Email CAL with any questions you may have about our offerings.
Please click here to register for this institute.
Please note: this institute is not intended for those who are learning SIOP for the first time. Contact CAL about SIOP introductory workshops that we can bring to your school or district.