The Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL) is seeking non-native English speakers to participate in the field test of a speaking assessment, BEST Plus 3.0.
Please see the following detailed information:
- Who can participate? Adult non-native speakers of English in the United States who are currently enrolled in an English language class. We are looking for speakers of all levels from beginner to advanced.
- How do I sign up? Click here to sign up: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/bpfieldtestsurvey
- What is the compensation? $20 Amazon gift card after completing the test session.
- When will the field test sessions take place? November 16, 2020 – December 31, 2020. If you are selected, we will schedule a time that is convenient for you.
- Where will the field test sessions be held? All field test sessions will be held virtually via Zoom videoconferencing. If selected, a Zoom meeting link will be sent to you when you schedule the session.
- What will I do? You will take a speaking test, BEST Plus 3.0. You will answer questions in English on video with a test administrator. You will not receive a test score at the end, and we will not report the score to your teacher. This will be an opportunity to practice your speaking skills.
- How much time will this take? We will schedule a one-hour session. The test normally takes 30-40 minutes to complete.
- How will my test scores be used? Your test scores will be used at CAL for research and test development purposes. They will not be available to the public. We will not use your name in the research.
- How do I sign up again? If interested, please fill out this survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/bpfieldtestsurvey.
- What do I do if I have questions? If you have questions, please feel free to contact Elyssa Sun at firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text her direct line 202-355-1543.
The Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL) is a non-profit organization founded in 1959. Headquartered in Washington DC, CAL has earned an international reputation for its contributions to the fields of bilingual and dual language education, English as a second language, world languages education, language policy, assessment, immigrant and refugee integration, literacy, dialect studies, and the education of linguistically and culturally diverse adults and children. CAL’s mission is to promote language learning and cultural understanding by serving as a trusted resource for research, services, and policy analysis. Through its work, CAL seeks solutions to issues involving language and culture as they relate to access and equity in education and society around the globe.
BEST Plus is an individually administered, face-to-face oral interview designed to assess the English language proficiency of adult English language learners in the United States. BEST Plus is a combined test of listening and speaking skills. BEST Plus is administered by a trained test administrator. For more information, please visit our website at www.cal.org/aea.
Elyssa Sun <email@example.com>