Frequently Asked Questions about TWI

What is the difference between two-way immersion and dual language?

At CAL, we consider dual language to be an umbrella term that includes foreign language immersion for native English speakers, developmental bilingual programs for native speakers of the partner language, two-way immersion programs that combine these two populations, and heritage language programs. See the National Dual Language Consortium Web site for more details.

Many people use the term dual language to refer to programs that have a balance of native English speakers and native speakers of the partner language. This model is also called two-way immersion or two-way bilingual immersion.

Back to the FAQ Topics Page