CAL SIOP Training of Trainers Institute: Advanced Coaching Strategies
January 12, 2023
January 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th, 2023
Learn effective strategies for providing job-embedded support for teachers implementing the Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP) Model in your schools. Please join us for this engaging 2023 online version of our CAL SIOP TOT.
This comprehensive and interactive institute is designed to help participants develop and deliver SIOP Model professional development as coaches or other instructional leadership roles.
The Advanced Strategies institute is designed for those participants who have prior knowledge of the SIOP Model and are supporting teachers in their implementation. In this institute, participants will review and renew specific components and features in order to deepen their knowledge of the SIOP Model. Participants will also extend their own professional skills in supporting teachers’ application of the model by exploring the implementation of job embedded professional development practices such as coaching, guided lesson planning by content area/grade level, development of professional learning communities, and lesson study.
Based on an interactive flipped classroom model, 2023 cohort will participate in both synchronous and asynchronous online learning. The synchronous portion will entail participants attending 4 4.5-hour live, online sessions. Through an asynchronous, self-paced format, participants will complete online activities that supplement the presentations. They will listen to recorded mini-lectures, read relevant research articles, watch and “coach” classroom videos of SIOP lessons, apply what they learn to their coaching plans, and interact with other participants through discussion boards and blog posts. Participants will connect online with CAL facilitators weekly to discuss best practices in SIOP professional development, network with other PD facilitators from schools around the world, and receive small group coaching from a CAL PD coach.
This is the right strand of professional development for those who:
- Have attended a full introductory SIOP workshop and have a strong knowledge base of the SIOP Model
- Have implemented the SIOP Model in their classrooms and/or have a lot of experience supporting teachers who implement the SIOP Model
- Have attended the CAL SIOP Training of Trainers Institute: Foundations or similar school/district based training.
- Are able to identify examples of SIOP implementation, but need more assistance in helping teachers implement with fidelity.
- Are available between January 5th and February 2nd, 2023 to complete approximately 2 hours of self-paced online assignments per week (to include watching videos, reading articles, listening to mini-lectures on SIOP components, and planning for their own PD sessions, etc.).
- Are able to join remote/teleconference sessions on the days and times listed below.
- Note: for the virtual presentation, each participant must have their own device. Multiple individuals on one device will not be accommodated.
Please note: this institute is not intended for those who are learning SIOP for the first time. Contact CAL about SIOP introductory workshops that we can deliver in your schools. Questions? Email CAL with any questions you may have about our offerings.
- Participants will be expected to complete 4 hours of self-paced, asynchronous, work in CAL’s Moodle platform
January 5, 2023: 9:30am-12:30pm & 2-3:30pm EST
- Key characteristics and elements of effective SIOP Model professional development and implementation support
- SIOP Model review and renew designed to deepen knowledge and implementation with a focus on second language acquisition and supporting content and language objectives in the Lesson Preparation Component
- PD Planning
January 12, 2023: 9:30am-12:30pm & 2-3:30pm EST
- SIOP Model review and renew designed to deepen knowledge and implementation with a focus on the Building Background component
- Special considerations when coaching with the SIOP Model
- Planning for virtual implementation support
- PD Planning
January 19, 2023: 9:30am-12:30pm & 2-3:30pm EST
- SIOP Model review and renew designed to deepen knowledge and implementation with a focus on specific features of the Strategies and Interaction components
- Supporting the lesson planning process using the SIOP Model
- Co-teaching and collaboration through the through the development and support of PLCs
- Developing a school/ district SIOP implementation plan
- PD Planning
January 26, 2023: 9:30am-12:30pm & 2-3:30pm EST
- Special considerations for working with adult learners
- SIOP lesson study
- SIOP Model review and renew designed to deepen knowledge and implementation with a focus on specific features of the Lesson Delivery and Review & Assessment components
- PD Planning
- Early bird pricing prior to December 8, 2022: $1,300 per person
- Individual price after December 8, 2022: $1,500/person.
- Send 2 people or more and pay $1,300 each.
- Cost includes all training materials (An Insider’s Guide to SIOP Coaching, SIOP in Action DVD, trainer’s PowerPoint, and hand-outs)
- Register early, as space is limited.
Materials include Insider’s Guide to SIOP Coaching, SIOP in Action DVD packet, trainer’s PowerPoint, and hand-outs. For timely shipment of physical publications, please register prior to December 13, 2022.
This Institute will be held online through a combination of interactive online web conferences and through self-paced assignments to be completed in CAL’s online learning platforms.
Graduate Credit Option
An option for two graduate credits from Trinity Washington University is available for this CAL Institute. The cost is $495. Participants must attend all workshop days and complete an assignment to be distributed during the institute. If you have questions about requirements and registration for the CAL Institute graduate credits, please contact CAL Solutions.
Certificate of Completion
Participants will receive a CAL Certificate of Completion for 28 hours which may be used for continuing education credit.
To reserve your seat for this institute, please complete the online registration process. Please be aware that your seat at the workshop will only be confirmed once payment is received. If you are registering multiple participants, please have the name, title, school, and email addresses available before you begin the registration process. We encourage you to register as soon as possible as many workshops fill up quickly.
Before beginning the registration process, please determine your preferred method of payment (credit card, check, or purchase order). When paying by credit card using the online registration system, your seat will be immediately confirmed, and you will receive a confirmation email upon successful completion of the transaction. CAL accepts American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and VISA. For registrations to be paid by purchase order or check, please note that your seat will be tentatively reserved until payment is received. Once the payment is received, you will receive a confirmation email. There will be a fee of $15.00 for each check returned as uncollectible. Purchase orders should be uploaded directly to the registration system or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. For payment by check, or to pay for purchase orders, please make the check payable to the Center for Applied Linguistics and mail to: Accounts Receivable, Center for Applied Linguistics, 4646 40th Street NW, Washington, DC 20016.
Registrants: We encourage participants to let CAL know as soon as possible if you do not plan to attend the session. Participants may cancel their registration and receive a full refund up to three (3) weeks prior to the institute start date by sending an email to email@example.com. After that date, no refunds will be available. However, registrants may choose to receive the institute materials by mail, postpone their attendance to a future CAL Institute, or transfer the registration to another individual up to three (3) days prior to the course start date. Contact us to discuss your options.
CAL: CAL reserves the right to cancel an event due to low enrollment or for reasons beyond our control. If we exercise this right, we will refund any registration fees which you have paid in advance. In some instances, registrants may have the option to transfer their registration to another event.
Fair Use of Materials
Individuals who have completed CAL trainings and workshops have permission from CAL to use materials in the course of providing professional development to educators in their school or school districts. These materials cannot be used to deliver fee-based services. Email CAL if you have questions about the use of CAL materials.