CAL SIOP Training of Trainers Institute: Advanced Coaching Strategies
July 19 - August 9
Learn effective strategies for providing job-embedded support for teachers implementing the SIOP Model in your schools.
This comprehensive and interactive institute is designed to help participants develop and deliver SIOP Model professional development as coaches or other instructional leadership roles.
The Advanced institute is designed for those participants who have prior knowledge of SIOP and are supporting teachers in their implementation of the model. In this institute, participants will review and renew the specific components and features in order to deepen their knowledge of the SIOP Model. Participants will also extend their own professional skills in supporting teachers’ SIOP implementation through providing job embedded professional development such as coaching, supporting lesson planning in grade level or professional learning communities, and lesson study.
Based on an interactive flipped classroom model, this cohort will participate in both synchronous and asynchronous online learning. Through a self-paced format, participants will listen to recorded mini-lectures, read relevant research articles, watch and “coach” classroom videos of SIOP lessons, apply what they learn to their coaching plans, and interact with other participants through discussion boards and blog posts. Participants will meet online with CAL facilitators weekly to discuss best practices in SIOP professional development, network with other PD facilitators from schools around the world, and receive small group coaching from a CAL PD coach.
This is the right strand of professional development for those who:
- Have attended a full introductory SIOP workshop and have a strong knowledge base of the SIOP Model
- Have implemented the SIOP Model in their classrooms and/or have a lot of experience supporting teachers who implement the SIOP Model
- Have attended SIOP TOT I: Foundations.
- Are able to identify examples of SIOP implementation, but need more assistance in helping teachers implement with fidelity.
- Are available between July 19th and August 9th, 2022 to complete approximately 2 hours of self-paced online assignments per week (to include watching videos, reading articles, listening to mini-lectures on SIOP components, and planning for their own PD sessions, etc.).
- Are able to join remote/teleconference sessions on the days and times listed below.
Please note: this institute is not intended for those who are learning SIOP for the first time. Contact CAL about SIOP introductory workshops that we can deliver in your schools. Questions? Email CAL with any questions you may have about our offerings.
- Between July 19th and August 9th 2022, participants will be expected to complete approximately 8 hours of various assignments and prepare a PD plan to share with the cohort of participants
July 19, 2022: 9:30am-12:30pm & 2-3:30pm EST
- Key characteristics and elements of effective SIOP Model professional development and implementation support
- SIOP Model review and renew designed to deepen knowledge and implementation with a focus on second language acquisition and supporting content and language objectives in the Lesson Preparation Component
- PD Planning
July 26, 2022: 9:30am-12:30pm & 2-3:30pm EST
- SIOP Model review and renew designed to deepen knowledge and implementation with a focus on the Building Background component
- Special considerations when coaching with the SIOP Model
- Planning for virtual implementation support
- PD Planning
August 2, 2022: 9:30am-12:30pm & 2-3:30pm EST
- SIOP Model review and renew designed to deepen knowledge and implementation with a focus on specific features of the Strategies and Interaction components
- Supporting the lesson planning process using the SIOP Model
- Co-teaching and collaboration through the through the development and support of PLCs
- Developing a school/ district SIOP implementation plan
- PD Planning
August 9, 2022: 9:30am-12:30pm & 2-3:30pm EST
- Special considerations for working with adult learners
- SIOP lesson study
- SIOP Model review and renew designed to deepen knowledge and implementation with a focus on specific features of the Lesson Delivery and Review & Assessment components
- PD Planning
- Self-paced content approximately 2 hours per week between July 26th and August 9th, 2022
- Four 4.5-hour mini-workshop sessions, from 9:30am-12:30pm & 2-3:30pm EST on July 26th and August 9th, 2022
- Early bird pricing prior to June 7, 2021: $1,300 per person
- Individual price after June 7, 2021: $1,500/person.
- Send 2 people or more and pay $1,300 each.
Materials include Insider’s Guide to SIOP Coaching, SIOP in Action DVD packet, trainer’s PowerPoint, and hand-outs. For timely shipment of physical publications, please register prior to June 7.
This Institute will be held online through a combination of interactive online web conferences and through self-paced assignments to be completed in CAL’s online learning platform.
Credit – Graduate Credit Option
An option for two graduate credits from Trinity Washington University is available for this CAL Institute. The cost is $495. Participants must attend all workshop days and complete an assignment to be distributed during the institute. If you have questions about requirements and registration for the CAL Institute graduate credits, please contact CAL Solutions.
Certificate of Completion
Participants will receive a CAL Certificate of Completion for 28 hours which may be used for continuing education credit.
Questions? Email CAL with any questions you may have about our offerings.