- This event has passed.
Spanish Literacy Institute (¡en español!): Fostering Spanish Language and Literacy Development
April 4, 2022 - April 12, 2022
Learn research-based strategies to provide effective language and literacy instruction in Spanish in developmental and transitional bilingual, dual language and immersion education programs.
This 15-hour synchronous and asynchronous institute provides effective methodologies for teaching academic language and literacy in Spanish to students in K-8 in a wide variety of programs where Spanish is the language of instruction. Classroom practices are framed by an understanding of Spanish linguistic features.
The institute will provide both synchronous and asynchronous online learning and take place over five consecutive days. It will include:
1) Webinar meetings with CAL facilitators to discuss best practices in Spanish language and literacy instruction and network with other Spanish language educators from schools in the U.S. (12 hours); and
2) A final project in which participants apply what they learn to create a lesson plan (3 hours).
The following provides an overview of the topics covered over the five days. Practical classroom-based instructional strategies are embedded throughout the presentation, which will be delivered entirely in Spanish.
Introducción a la conciencia metalingüística
The Context for Metalinguistic Awareness Raising
- What does research say about effective biliteracy instruction?
- What is metalinguistic awareness, and why is it important?
- What are fundamentals about language transfer?
Cómo desarrollar conciencia de las similitudes y diferencias entre el español y el inglés
Developing Awareness of Similarities and Differences between Spanish and English
- Fostering the development of academic language
- Building metalinguistic awareness to promote cross-linguistic transfer
- Examining similarities and differences between the languages related to:
- Phonology and orthography (sound-letter correspondences)
- Morphology (word formation)
- Semantics (with a focus on cognates and false cognates)
- Syntax (sentence structure)
- Pragmatics (language use)
La evaluación del desarrollo del lenguaje y la lectoescritura en dos idiomas
Assessing language and literacy development in two languages
- Assessment practices for language learners
- Assessing oral language
- Assessing side by side writing
Schedule – April 4-8 and 12, 2022 *ALL TIMES ARE EASTERN**
|Monday, April 4, 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm EST
|Webinar I: The Context for Spanish Language and Literacy Instruction in a Dual Language Program
|Tuesday, April 5, 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm EST
|Webinar II: Developing Awareness of Similarities and Differences between Spanish and English – Part I
|Wednesday, April 6, 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm EST
|Webinar III: Developing Awareness of Similarities and Differences between Spanish and English – Part II
|Thursday, April 7, 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm EST
|Webinar IV: Developing Awareness of Similarities and Differences between Spanish and English – Part III
|Friday, April 8, 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm EST
|Webinar V: Developing Awareness of Similarities and Differences between Spanish and English – Part IV
|Tuesday, April 12, 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm EST
|Webinar VI: Assessment Practices and Showcase of Lessons
This Institute will be held online using interactive online webinars and a self-paced assignment.
Certificate of Completion
Participants who have attended all webinars and completed the project will receive a CAL Certificate of Completion for 15 hours which may be used for continuing education credit depending on the requirements of your state or district.