WIDA ACCESS Writing Theme Generation
February 5–16, 2024
The Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL) is recruiting educators to share their ideas for new WIDA ACCESS test items.
This is an opportunity for educators in the field to help make sure the WIDA ACCESS test reflects the topics, themes, and language of classroom instruction.
Educators who are selected to participate will serve as Theme Generators, brainstorming possible test item ideas based on specific WIDA English Language Development standards.
Who can participate?
Any educator who has experience working with students in grades 1–12 in a WIDA-member state during the previous two years is invited to apply. We are looking to recruit a group of educators who will bring a diverse mix of content and instructional expertise to this task, including:
- Classroom teachers
- Content area teachers
- English language teachers
- Special education teachers
- Instructional coaches/specialists
What will educators do?
Theme Generators will:
- Watch a tutorial video to understand what types of themes can be used on WIDA ACCESS.
- Brainstorm theme ideas and ideas for visual support for specific grade-level clusters and content areas, and enter these ideas into a survey form (asynchronous work between February 5–16, 2024).
- Complete a non-disclosure agreement (NDA).
- Receive $30 compensation for each survey completed.
I’m interested! What should I do?
In order to help us recruit a representative group of participants, please complete the short application HERE. In the application, you will be asked to provide:
- Your contact information
- Information about your grade level and content area expertise
- A current resume or CV
CAL will begin contacting selected educators around January 10, 2024. If you have any questions about this activity, please contact Victoria Burges (email@example.com).
Thank you for your interest in this important test development activity!