WIDA ACCESS Writing Tryouts
December 4–15, 2023
The Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL) is pleased to announce a new round of WIDA ACCESS Writing Tryouts, which will take place December 4–15, 2023.
Tryouts are an opportunity for educators and students to be part of the development of new ACCESS Writing tasks. Educators and students who participate help make sure new tasks work as intended before tasks go to large-scale field testing. Tryouts also give students a chance to practice completing ACCESS Writing tasks.
Who can participate?
- Teachers who work with English language learners (ELLs) in grades 1–12, at all proficiency levels (1–6), including students who have recently been exited from English language support services.
- English language learners who are identified by the teacher and receive parental consent. Written parental consent is required.
What will we do?
- Complete a Non-Disclosure Agreement and consent form
- Identify at least 10 students eligible to participate in the Tryouts
- Distribute, collect, scan, and upload parental consent forms to CAL by November 10, 2023
- Administer writing tasks to students during the Tryouts window, December 4–15, 2023
- Complete online surveys to provide feedback on the writing tasks
- Return all Tryouts materials, including student responses and hard copy consent forms, to CAL
- Receive a $150 electronic gift card for school supplies upon completion of all activities
- Complete one writing task (20 minutes)
- Students in Grades 1–3 will view and respond to tasks in a printed booklet.
- Students in Grades 4–12 will view tasks on a computer and respond in a printed booklet.
CAL staff will…
- Provide instructions for all aspects of the Tryouts, including how to access Grades 4–12 writing tasks using Google Chrome on a desktop or laptop
- Provide all printed materials, including student booklets
- Provide a pre-paid FedEx label for return of materials
I’m interested! What should I do?
In the application, you will be asked to provide:
- Your name, job title, school district, school name, and school mailing address
- The number of potential student participants at each grade cluster and proficiency range (levels 1–3, levels 3–6 and those recently exited from ELL services)
Thank you for your interest in this important activity!