Mission & Values
The mission of the Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL) is to promote language learning and cultural understanding by serving as a trusted source for research, resources, and policy analysis. Through its work, CAL seeks solutions to issues involving language and culture as they relate to access and equity in education and society around the globe.
CAL also has a set of core values that guide all of our endeavors and help us focus our efforts more effectively. These values are outlined below and reflect CAL's strong commitment to promoting access, equity, and mutual understanding for linguistically and culturally diverse people around the world.
- Languages and cultures are important individual and societal resources.
- All languages, dialects, and cultures deserve to be respected and cultivated.
- Multilingualism is beneficial for individuals and society.
- Effective language education should be widely available.
- Accurate information should be the basis for policies and practices that involve language and culture.
- Language skills and cultural knowledge should be valued in work situations.
- Language and cultural differences should not be obstacles to personal or group success or well-being.