Putting It All Together
What does it all mean?
In this module, we have learned about…
- Common linguistic and cultural characteristics of heritage learners
- Types of tests that are appropriate for HLLs
- Example scenarios on approaches to assessment for HLLs
- Heritage-specific considerations and implications for assessment
- Ways to select, adapt, or develop assessments for HLLs
We encourage you to use this information to make informed decisions about your assessment practices when working with HLLs in your classroom.
- If you feel that you need additional support for understanding HLLs, we invite you to take a look at the Resources section at the end of the module for a list of organizations, articles, and websites dedicated to heritage language learning.
- If you feel that you need additional support for understanding the basic principles of assessment, we invite you to take a look at the Understanding Assessment tutorial for more information.
Though finding the right assessment for HLLs can be challenging, the reward is an assessment plan that can positively affect students both inside and outside the classroom!