Summary of Best Practices
What are some overall best practices for assessing heritage language learners?
Although each of these types of assessment requires a different approach, a number of best practices apply to many testing situations with heritage learners. Here are some practices we recommend when assessing HLLs:
- Understand the linguistic and cultural profiles of your students
- Recognize the language varieties represented in your community
- Use multimodal assessments with authentic, performance-based tasks
- Incorporate an assets-based approach to assessment that recognizes and builds upon students’ strengths, including cultural competence
- Utilize differentiated, alternative methods of instruction and assessment