- Adair-Hauck, B., Glisan, E. W., & Troyan, F. J. (2013). Implementing Integrated Performance Assessment. American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages.
- Adair‐Hauck, B., & Troyan, F. J. (2013). A descriptive and co‐constructive approach to integrated performance assessment feedback. Foreign Language Annals, 46(1), 23-44.
- Cox, T. L., Malone, M. E., & Winke, P. (2018). Future directions in assessment: Influences of standards and implications for language learning. Foreign Language Annals, 51(1), 104-115.
- Deardorff, D. K. (2009). Implementing intercultural competence assessment. In D. K. Deardorff (Ed.), The SAGE handbook of intercultural competence (pp. 477-491). SAGE.
- Fairclough, M. (2012). A working model for assessing Spanish heritage language learners' proficiency through a placement exam. Heritage Language Journal, 9(1), 121-138.
- Gaillard, S. (2014). The Elicited Imitation Task as a method for French proficiency assessment in institutional and research settings. [Doctoral dissertation, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.] IDEALS. https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/items/50673
- Green, A. (2012). Placement testing. In C. Coombe, Davidson, P., O’Sullivan, B., & Stoynoff, S. (Eds.), The Cambridge guide to second language assessment, 164-170. Cambridge University Press.
- Griffith, R. L., Wolfeld, L., Armon, B. K., Rios, J., & Liu, O. L. (2016). Assessing intercultural competence in higher education: Existing research and future directions. ETS research report series, 2016(2), 1-44. https://doi.org/10.1002/ets2.12112
- Hudson, T., & Clark, M. (2008). Case studies in foreign language placement: Practices and possibilities. National Foreign Language Resource Center.
- Long, A. Y., Shin, S. Y., Geeslin, K., & Willis, E. W. (2018). Does the test work? Evaluating a web-based language placement test. Language Learning & Technology, 22(1), 137-156.
- Mathews, T. J., & Hansen, C. M. (2004). Ongoing assessment of a university foreign language program. Foreign Language Annals, 37(4), 630-640.
- Mozgalina, A., & Ryshina–Pankova, M. (2015). Meeting the challenges of curriculum construction and change: Revision and validity evaluation of a placement test. The Modern Language Journal, 99(2), 346-370.
- Norris, J. M., Brown, J. D., Hudson, T., & Yoshioka, J. (1998). Designing second language performance assessments(No. 18). National Foreign Language Resource Center. https://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED451701
- Schulz, R. A. (2007). The challenge of assessing cultural understanding in the context of foreign language instruction. Foreign Language Annals, 40(1), 9-26.
- Toker, Ş., McKay, T., & Kim, A. (2019). C-test research brief. Assessment and Evaluation Language Resource Center. https://aelrc.georgetown.edu/resources/research-briefs/c-test-research-brief/
- Van Houten, J. B., & Shelton, K. (2018). Leading with culture. The Language Educator, 13(1). https://www.actfl.org/sites/default/files/tle/TLE_JanFeb18_Article.pdf
- Wiggins, G., & McTighe, J. (2005). Understanding by design (expanded 2nd ed.). ASCD.
- Winke, P., & Gass, S. M. (Eds.). (2019). Foreign language proficiency in higher education. Springer.
- Teaching guide on using backward design from the Vanderbilt University Center for Teaching
Proficiency-Oriented Language Instruction and Assessment
- Curriculum handbook for teachers on the principles and practices of standard-based and proficiency-oriented language instruction and assessment, including sample tasks and units, from the Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition
World Languages Framework through the Lens of Proficiency
- Learning module on the importance and benefits of proficiency-based language teaching from the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
- Learning modules about language assessment, including creating performance assessments and developing rubrics, from the Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition
NCSSFL-ACTFL Can-Do Statements
- Statements of what learners can do independently, organized according to the modes of communication including Intercultural Communication and aligned to the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines
Georgetown University Department of German Assessment Plan
- Website with documents used in one language department’s revision of assessment policies and practices aligned with a shift to a task-based curriculum
Integrated Performance Assessment Series
- Series of 7 episodes on performance assessments that can be accessed as podcasts or TED-ED lessons with videos, additional links, and questions for discussion, from the National Foreign Language Resource Center
Language Proficiency Flagship Initiative
- List of publications from research funded by the National Security Education Program to examine how the introduction of proficiency assessments improves teaching and learning within university language programs