- Adair-Hauck, B., Glisan, E. W., & Troyan, F. J. (2013). Implementing Integrated Performance Assessment. American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages.
- Adair‐Hauck, B., & Troyan, F. J. (2013). A descriptive and co‐constructive approach to integrated performance assessment feedback. Foreign Language Annals, 46(1), 23-44.
- Cox, T. L., Malone, M. E., & Winke, P. (2018). Future directions in assessment: Influences of standards and implications for language learning. Foreign Language Annals, 51(1), 104-115.
- Deardorff, D. K. (2009). Implementing intercultural competence assessment. In D. K. Deardorff (Ed.), The SAGE handbook of intercultural competence (pp. 477-491). SAGE.
- Fairclough, M. (2012). A working model for assessing Spanish heritage language learners' proficiency through a placement exam. Heritage Language Journal, 9(1), 121-138.
- Gaillard, S. (2014). The Elicited Imitation Task as a method for French proficiency assessment in institutional and research settings. [Doctoral dissertation, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.] IDEALS. https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/items/50673
- Green, A. (2012). Placement testing. In C. Coombe, Davidson, P., O’Sullivan, B., & Stoynoff, S. (Eds.), The Cambridge guide to second language assessment, 164-170. Cambridge University Press.
- Griffith, R. L., Wolfeld, L., Armon, B. K., Rios, J., & Liu, O. L. (2016). Assessing intercultural competence in higher education: Existing research and future directions. ETS research report series, 2016(2), 1-44. https://doi.org/10.1002/ets2.12112
- Hudson, T., & Clark, M. (2008). Case studies in foreign language placement: Practices and possibilities. National Foreign Language Resource Center.
- Long, A. Y., Shin, S. Y., Geeslin, K., & Willis, E. W. (2018). Does the test work? Evaluating a web-based language placement test. Language Learning & Technology, 22(1), 137-156.
- Mathews, T. J., & Hansen, C. M. (2004). Ongoing assessment of a university foreign language program. Foreign Language Annals, 37(4), 630-640.
- Mozgalina, A., & Ryshina–Pankova, M. (2015). Meeting the challenges of curriculum construction and change: Revision and validity evaluation of a placement test. The Modern Language Journal, 99(2), 346-370.
- Norris, J. M., Brown, J. D., Hudson, T., & Yoshioka, J. (1998). Designing second language performance assessments(No. 18). National Foreign Language Resource Center. https://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED451701
- Schulz, R. A. (2007). The challenge of assessing cultural understanding in the context of foreign language instruction. Foreign Language Annals, 40(1), 9-26.
- Toker, Ş., McKay, T., & Kim, A. (2019). C-test research brief. Assessment and Evaluation Language Resource Center. https://aelrc.georgetown.edu/resources/research-briefs/c-test-research-brief/
- Van Houten, J. B., & Shelton, K. (2018). Leading with culture. The Language Educator, 13(1). https://www.actfl.org/sites/default/files/tle/TLE_JanFeb18_Article.pdf
- Wiggins, G., & McTighe, J. (2005). Understanding by design (expanded 2nd ed.). ASCD.
- Winke, P., & Gass, S. M. (Eds.). (2019). Foreign language proficiency in higher education. Springer.
- Teaching guide on using backward design from the Vanderbilt University Center for Teaching
- Curriculum handbook for teachers on the principles and practices of standard-based and proficiency-oriented language instruction and assessment, including sample tasks and units, from the Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition
- Learning module on the importance and benefits of proficiency-based language teaching from the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
- Learning modules about language assessment, including creating performance assessments and developing rubrics, from the Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition
- Statements of what learners can do independently, organized according to the modes of communication including Intercultural Communication and aligned to the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines
- Website with documents used in one language department’s revision of assessment policies and practices aligned with a shift to a task-based curriculum
- Series of 7 episodes on performance assessments that can be accessed as podcasts or TED-ED lessons with videos, additional links, and questions for discussion, from the National Foreign Language Resource Center
- List of publications from research funded by the National Security Education Program to examine how the introduction of proficiency assessments improves teaching and learning within university language programs