How can formative assessment be used with heritage language learners?
Formative assessments provide information on students’ progress that can be used for planning subsequent instruction. This type of assessment provides feedback to the teacher and learner about the learner’s progress toward desired educational outcomes.
When working with HLLs, formative assessment can be useful for:
- Developing realistic and relevant learning outcomes
- Addressing issues of equity and accessibility in mixed classrooms
- Determining the need for differentiation and/or intervention for students of varying proficiency levels
- Encouraging students to reflect on their progress
- Creating an individualized learning experience