How can summative assessment be used with heritage language learners?
Summative assessments provide information on mastery of a specific body of information (e.g., a single unit or course) or level of attainment (e.g., proficiency gains after a period of instruction).
When working with HLLs, summative assessment can be useful for:
- Assessing knowledge and ability in the material taught within a specific unit of study or course
- Formally checking on whether or not students have met their learning objectives
- Informing future curriculum development
- Advocating for different learning tools and/or supports
- Determining if students are ready to move to a different level